• 2 Post By litz
  • 2 Post By Crash
  • 2 Post By DavisLove
  • 2 Post By litz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Is a remap worth the money?

Hi all,

I was recently been enquiring about a custom exhaust and one place here in the U.K. (Powerflow exhausts) also offer remaps which they were keen enough to promote alongside the exhaust- they are claiming a "guaranteed" 21hp increase for the CR-Z in particular but I'm struggling to believe this claim considering the car isn't turbo'd or supercharged. They don't tune on a dyno either so without paying for a dedicated dyno session there's no quantifiable proof of any increase. The price quoted was 240, which in my past experience is about 100-150 cheaper than a dyno tune, but I'm not entirely convinced. Has anyone had any experience with these, what I'd call, "blind" remaps- they any good or is it just guesswork by the tuner just advancing the timing and adding a bit of fuel to the standard map?

2014 ZF2 UK - Rigid Collar - Spoon - Kansai - Mulsanne - Pivot - Dixcel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:10 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Ask them how they're going to remap the ECU (yes, it's a good idea to retune to get the best performance from the aftermarket parts.) If they tell you they use hondata, then you should consider that hondata does not support the 2013+ models of the CR-Z, but KTuner does, so your 2014 GT can only be remapped/tuned to specs other than OEM by going with KTuner as far as I know.
Spdbump and splinter_777 like this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread
Sprintex | Mugen | Takeda | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
I had my old '11 dyno tuned after adding intake and exhaust. US factory tune is setup for the equivalent of 92 RON gas/petrol. Tuning for 99 RON equivalent gained around 7 ft-lbs across most of the rev range above the gains of the intake and exhaust (which was about 5 ft-lbs). There is probably less room for improvement on yours, depending on what the minimum RON rating in your owner's manual is.

The factory ECU will already compensate for any extra air the intake and exhaust let through, to a point.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:01 PM

Short answer, no. Sounds like they are just giving you what is called a base map, as they aren't actually tuning your car. At the end of the day even if done by the best tuner in the world, it's still just a best guess. You're better off saving the money. There are much better bang for your buck mods for around the same price. Sprint springs or RSX type S brakes for example...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I had my old '11 dyno tuned after adding intake and exhaust. US factory tune is setup for the equivalent of 92 RON gas/petrol. Tuning for 99 RON equivalent gained around 7 ft-lbs across most of the rev range above the gains of the intake and exhaust (which was about 5 ft-lbs). There is probably less room for improvement on yours, depending on what the minimum RON rating in your owner's manual is.

The factory ECU will already compensate for any extra air the intake and exhaust let through, to a point.
The UK owner's manual says to use no less than 97 RON which is what the car runs 100% of the time, so what you're saying is the stock map should be tuned for this therefore a remap will offer minimal gain, yes?

The car is fitted with a GE8 manifold, Spoon Muffler and K&N drop in filter as the only modifications that may affect power, so my feeling was that I'd only gain minimal hp increase anyway, map or no map, so I was really asking the question of you guys as the +21hp claim seemed like snake oil to me. From what you've said my feeling hasn't changed...

So my next question would be, do you guys think I'd feel more of an increase with a Spoon throttle body?

2014 ZF2 UK - Rigid Collar - Spoon - Kansai - Mulsanne - Pivot - Dixcel
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:26 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter_777 View Post

So my next question would be, do you guys think I'd feel more of an increase with a Spoon throttle body?
For closer to $100, you can send your throttle body to maxbore to have it bored out to a larger size--compared to the $1,000 for a Spoon--but it's all up to you, and how much spare change you have. With all your engine/exhaust mods, you'll notice an improvement with a tune, but just the savings from maxbore instead of Spoon, will get you KTuner and money left over for some time on the Dyno.

Tunning Spoon's throttle body
Spdbump and DavisLove like this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread
Sprintex | Mugen | Takeda | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Last edited by litz; 01-03-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: updated link
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter_777 View Post
The UK owner's manual says to use no less than 97 RON which is what the car runs 100% of the time, so what you're saying is the stock map should be tuned for this therefore a remap will offer minimal gain, yes?

The car is fitted with a GE8 manifold, Spoon Muffler and K&N drop in filter as the only modifications that may affect power, so my feeling was that I'd only gain minimal hp increase anyway, map or no map, so I was really asking the question of you guys as the +21hp claim seemed like snake oil to me. From what you've said my feeling hasn't changed...
The stock map is conservative, so you'll get some power out of a good dyno tune. The 21hp is BS, but the +5 you could get across a good chunk of the power band would be noticeable, if not mind blowing.

Sounds like Litz had a good plan, and doing it properly instead of cheaply almost always saves money in the long run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode