Flashpro CVT High Max RPM - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Myx

Flashpro CVT High Max RPM

Has anyone been able to successfully move the max rpm on the CVT, with the Flashpro? I'm sure Flashpro has the option to do it and you can probably put in the new rpm in it but does the car actually go to the new higher rpm or 'something' (CVT ECU, tranny???) prevents it from getting there? Thanks!

Searching the site didn't provide the answers to this or at least I couldn't find it.

Kevin
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT
15.210@92.40
Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
For 6MT you can set the RPM to REV higher.

However note that you won't have any IMA beyond the Normal RPM range.
I'm not sure the CVT will allow to reach higher RPM's, and the gears are probably programmed to change way before those values

!!Let the fun begin!!Vuooooooom Pxxx xxxxx xxxx
2011 GT 200 HP Turbocharged @ 8Psi

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Hey Kevin--Thanks for posting on the forum. I've got a 2013 CRZ with Sprintex and CVT, and never considered tricking it to rev past the redline since it's quite happy to hold itself there and keeps on pulling with no problem. Unless I'm missing something, you're already above the peak power and torque band, and the IMA stops boosting after that also. Can you let me know of the advantages you're trying to achieve with higher rev limit, please? I'd actually want to lower it a bit with the CVT.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread
Sprintex | Mugen | Takeda | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Myx

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
Can you let me know of the advantages you're trying to achieve with higher rev limit, please? I'd actually want to lower it a bit with the CVT.
Sure, I have a different vehicle (2015 Honda Fit LX CVT) but consider us in the same family. I have custom grind cams from Deltacams, which are wild, similar to the old school Deltacam 272 grinds for Hondas. The car idles and drives fine with them. However, after installing them, my 1/4 mile times dropped by about 3/10ths of a seocnd. I believe the power band moved to the right.

Currently, my CVT maxed out at 6600rpm then tapers back down to 6100rpm or so, while going wide open throttle. I'd like to set it at 7000rpm or so since I believe the powerband has moved to the right with the cams.

Also, take a look at a couple of these dynos for the 2015 Honda Fit.
Here is an HPD Cold Air Intake before and after dyno no a Fit --->

Here is a stock 2015 Honda Fit before and after tune with Ktuner -->

Stock Fits (both manual and auto CVT) peak power is at 6500rpm but these dyno's still show the car making power up to 6900rpm or so.

Even J's Racing of Japan tuned their Fit up to 6900rpm and the power isn't dropping off -->

So, since I have the custom grinded cams, I wanted to move the CVT's peak rpm point to the right about 500rpm to 7000rpm to take advantage of the extra power I believe is up there. Even with the same torque at 6500rpm, revving to 7000rpm will make 11whp extra.

I didn't realize the IMA issue with CRZ. Unless....that could be programmed to continue running then as well. I have to go look at the powerband for the CRZ but when modifying, you'd want to move the peak rpm of the CVT to where the new peak horsepower is. Like this video states (Skip to 1:53) -->

In your case, if your peak powerband move downward in the rpm range, the same thing applies. I use Ktuner for my platform but I'm researching if any tuning software has this capability.

Kevin
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT
15.210@92.40
Video
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 12:18 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
"....the CVT is designed very ingenuously....." [1:46]

Well, nearly. They probably meant, "ingeniously".
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:40 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Thanks for the info, @Myx--It gives me something to think about. I don't know what difference there is in the CVT tuning between the Fit and the CRZ, but at WOT, mine nails itself to the red line and won't back off a bit until you ease off the throttle. Also interesting, is the difference of the dyno of the stock Fit, before KTuner and after. Thanks again your insights.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread
Sprintex | Mugen | Takeda | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info, @Myx--It gives me something to think about. I don't know what difference there is in the CVT tuning between the Fit and the CRZ, but at WOT, mine nails itself to the red line and won't back off a bit until you ease off the throttle. Also interesting, is the difference of the dyno of the stock Fit, before KTuner and after. Thanks again your insights.
Taking specifically from your situation, and because there's no IMA tuning options....

Imagine your RPM sticking to 7000rpm..where you have no IMA assist whatsoever....it would actually make you accelerate slower hahaha ^^

!!Let the fun begin!!Vuooooooom Pxxx xxxxx xxxx
2011 GT 200 HP Turbocharged @ 8Psi

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Myx

Quote:
Something else to think about. I consider the CVT to be golden as far as performance. You don't always have to think about making more power to go faster. If you can utilize the power that you already have....better....sooner...you'd have much more average power over time. Let me share a graph of sorts that a fellow Fit member shared with me on our discussion on this matter.

Note the lines in the graph. Of course more power will help you accelerate faster but how about utilizing more of the power that you have over a longer period of time. If you can get the CVT to reach it's peak rpm faster, you will have MUCH more power under the curve over a longer period of time. Excellent! Manuals and even automatics loose all that power between shifts while we can stay at max horsepower the whole time.

While I have done the standard intake, exhaust modifications, I have focused on everything to simulate that gray line. Reduction of weight in the car, maximize reduction of rotating mass (lightweight pulley, lightweight tires, lighweight wheels, smaller diameter tires than stock), making an intake that puts emphasis on low end torque and top end, etc. Anything to get the rpms to reach max rpm as soon as possible. It's why N/A so far, I can hang with the average driver in a stock Type R, Civic Si, Fiesta ST, Coopers SS, turbo Abarths, etc from point a to point B. Those cars make way more horsepower but utilizing the little horsepower I have, I try to maximize on it over a broader period of time. The main discussion with the graph was in what ways we can change the gear ratio of the CVT. That's for another thread though.

If the tuners get to being able to change the rpm the engine runs at during wide open throttle and/or change where the rpm flashes too when you floor it (Like a high stall torque converter), these things will be significant game changers. In the meantime, we still can work with what we have. I'm fascinated by the CVT despite how weak it is. There's no way I should be running the times I am though if it is that bad of a transmission. On the contrary, I'm running this way because of the transmission. I think CRZ's can do just as good if not better.

Let's hope the tuners find a way.

Kevin
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT
15.210@92.40
Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode