Davy's Car Blog - Page 3 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:06 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisLove View Post
Thanks Davy, it's on my Christmas List now!
Spdbump and DavisLove like this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

So apparently the dont make Silver Storm Metallic (NH642M) in the Duplicolor rattle cans, bummer. So it looks like I have to paint like the big boys, except Im using a single stage system instead of the real stuff. Im hoping the rear diffuser arrives soon so I can knock it out this weekend, weather permitting. If not, I hope to install the springs instead.

post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:42 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Good luck on the mix, but I've tried touchupdirect (and other methods,) but here's a link to them, if you want an alternative:

https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-p...&tud_year=2011

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:58 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
So apparently the dont make Silver Storm Metallic (NH642M) in the Duplicolor rattle cans, bummer. So it looks like I have to paint like the big boys, except Im using a single stage system instead of the real stuff. Im hoping the rear diffuser arrives soon so I can knock it out this weekend, weather permitting. If not, I hope to install the springs instead.

For touch up paint I used these guys Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems but if you are painting big pieces you might be able to get a body shop to mix some up for you per code and provide it in a container or bring your spray gun bottle. It would at least save you the cost of labor for applying it. There are automotive paint distributors that the body shops go to, some are open to the public. I know there is one near me. That is another option as not many body shops mix their own paint.

Just out of curiosity why single stage instead of base and clear coat?
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
For touch up paint I used these guys Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems but if you are painting big pieces you might be able to get a body shop to mix some up for you per code and provide it in a container or bring your spray gun bottle. It would at least save you the cost of labor for applying it. There are automotive paint distributors that the body shops go to, some are open to the public. I know there is one near me. That is another option as not many body shops mix their own paint.

Just out of curiosity why single stage instead of base and clear coat?
Because its easier lol. One less stage to mess up. Last time I tried this on my ITR lip, I messed up and the paint never dried. It's not like Im painting a fender or 1/4 panel. I doubt anyone is going to notice if I mess up a little. You would have to be stooping down to because the lip and diffusers are really close to the ground.

I already bought the paint from Sherman Williams Automotive. $39 for the paint, reducer and hardener plus they threw in the mixing cup & sticks and the strainer. They premixed in the reducer for me. Don't need clear with this stuff, it's already mixed in the paint.

That's about the same price I would have had to pay for the 3 Duplicolor cans of SSM and 3 cans of clear anyway. Im pretty excited to try with my paint gun. Ive been watching lots of Youtube videos.
litz and Spdbump like this.
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Parts!!!

Rear Diffuser coming soon...

post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Because its easier lol. One less stage to mess up. Last time I tried this on my ITR lip, I messed up and the paint never dried. It's not like Im painting a fender or 1/4 panel. I doubt anyone is going to notice if I mess up a little. You would have to be stooping down to because the lip and diffusers are really close to the ground.

I already bought the paint from Sherman Williams Automotive. $39 for the paint, reducer and hardener plus they threw in the mixing cup & sticks and the strainer. They premixed in the reducer for me. Don't need clear with this stuff, it's already mixed in the paint.

That's about the same price I would have had to pay for the 3 Duplicolor cans of SSM and 3 cans of clear anyway. Im pretty excited to try with my paint gun. Ive been watching lots of Youtube videos.
What about painting the part before you install it? I think this is what the professionals did when my front bumper was replaced after my recent accident.
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I plan on painting prior to installing, I'm kinda gambling on the diffuser fitting correctly though. I've read sometimes cutting or trimming is necessary. I trust Bayson R on the lip though.
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:40 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
I plan on painting prior to installing, I'm kinda gambling on the diffuser fitting correctly though. I've read sometimes cutting or trimming is necessary. I trust Bayson R on the lip though.
I was going to suggest earlier, that you test fit it before painting, so you can trim up an edge or two to make it fit perfectly (if it doesn't already.) I kind of did that on my carbon fiber hood-- it fit good, for sure, and I did do some extra work on it before painting, but if I wanted to be really picky (which I usually am,) I'd have taken the extra time to shave off just a little bit more from one particular corner. No big deal, but just to make sure before you paint--better to do a test fit.

post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

did some work today. got too dark for after pics though...

If you have the pdf version of the 2011-2012 manual, the relevant pages are:
front 1389-1396
rear 1400-1407
the "lowering springs" DIY helped, but the manuals were crucial for a weekend warrior like myself

new swift springs

so glad I didnt have to deal with the axle popping out

only one piece left over lol

trimming the rear bump stop

the back goes really quick.

hopefully it's warm enough to paint tomorrow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode