Can you upgrade the lights and extend the reach of the key FOB - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Koala Yummies
  • 1 Post By litz
  • 1 Post By 61049

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Can you upgrade the lights and extend the reach of the key FOB

Hey,

I've had my 2012 z for a few months now and I want to start some little mods on it and I want to start with this:

1. Can you upgrade the head lights to the newer model ones?

2. I've noticed that my remote doesn't get much distance when I want to unlock/lock my car. Is there a way to extend it? Also, any recommendations for a remote start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:38 AM
Super Duper Member

You can't just put the HID lights from a newer CR-Z into yours( if Base) but if you have the HIDs already you might be able to but bumpers have changed a little bit( the DRL LEDs would not work without doing some special wiring) but why bother there are so many better upgraded bulbs available.

As for extending the remote range have you tried holding it to your chin as you click the button or changing the battery? How far do you need it to work? You could add an aftermarket alarm system which might have longer range. I find the range on my 2013 to be pretty good. There is no reason to unlock the car from too far away and even the panic button works at a pretty good range when The Speed Bump decides it wants to play hide and seek in a parking lot.

As for remote start there was a thread here where someone tried to do that and it ended up being a disaster. It is not plug and play by any meaning of the word you can think of. Our keys are chipped and the CR-Z has a very complicated system for starting ( especially the MT). I am not saying it cannot be done but it will require planning and skills. Same with the alarm install.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging.

Do your research on this forum for all of this and I think you will find the information you are seeking.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Smile

My 2014 remote has about a 7ft range also and it drives me nuts. I end up about 25ft away with the key smooshed into my face just clicking away hoping that the horn will beep before either giving up and leaving it unlocked or stomping back into range to lock it. Maybe I don't need to unlock it from the front entrance of Walmart sure but my Ram used to at least let me lock it in my driveway from the kitchen. I'm thinking about trying an aftermarket fob to see if they get better range.

I also was thinking about remote start, one of the things I miss most about my Ram but I think there's two reasons I'll pass on it. I've seen/heard of about 1 in 15 installs on any car going well and not screwing up the car eventually let alone working with the auto stop feature on the CR-Z. Second one of the downsides I noticed in the Ram was that idling the car in the driveway for 10 mins would destroy my avg MPG. Of course we're talking about a modified V8 hemi but still 0mph + gas = - avg MPG. I decided ultimately that the reason I bought the car was to exchange some luxuries for better gas mileage and I'm just going to have to lump remote start in with cargo space, horsepower, and the rest.

If you do get the remote start I would highly recommend you do it somewhere you can pay a little extra for an extended labor warranty because they are notorious for having issues.

Regarding the lights, I've always just been the guy to throw a set of high lumen CREE LEDs or HIDs in my non projector housings and aim them down a bit to avoid peoples rearviews, although that might not be an issue with our 10" headlight height. Fair warning this is believed to be dangerous and annoying by a lot of people.

Last edited by 61049; 04-05-2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: less abrasive wording

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Super Duper Member

The headlight housings can be swapped between all years of CR-Z (make sure to get the same market, i.e. LHD for LHD, no JDM headlights on USDM cars for example, beam cutoff is reversed) and model unless upgrading from base model halogen to EX HID. If talking about the newer ones with LED DRL there are some write-ups and modification is needed to get the DRL to operate like OEM, it won't be plug-n-play. If one has a base model and wants the LED DRL and OEM HID this is the best way to go about it (by getting the later model EX+ housings) but it won't be cheap and a bunch of additional parts are required for the conversion. The headlights run around $360 a piece new.
CR-Z Canadian and Spdbump like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsketch View Post
2. I've noticed that my remote doesn't get much distance when I want to unlock/lock my car. Is there a way to extend it? Also, any recommendations for a remote start?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Phillip View Post
My 2014 remote has about a 7ft range also and it drives me nuts. I end up about 25ft away with the key smooshed into my face just clicking away hoping that the horn will beep before either giving up and leaving it unlocked or stomping back into range to lock it....
I have a 2013, so the car is about four years old, and I don't have any problem working the remote from 70ft. away, so 7ft means that you should replace the battery, I suspect. Actually, that 70ft range is with the me in the kitchen, and the car in a closed/detached garage--I have to take my keys out of my pocket while at home, or else I'll accidentally bump the remote switch and lock/unlock the car unintentionally.
Spdbump likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:15 PM

Garage
Can you upgrade the lights and extend the reach of the key FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
I have a 2013, so the car is about four years old, and I don't have any problem working the remote from 70ft. away, so 7ft means that you should replace the battery, I suspect. Actually, that 70ft range is with the me in the kitchen, and the car in a closed/detached garage--I have to take my keys out of my pocket while at home, or else I'll accidentally bump the remote switch and lock/unlock the car unintentionally.

Battery was my first step. Well no technically battery was my second step. Going and grabbing the spare fob from the dealership envelope and trying it was the first. I put new batteries in both since they came in a multi pack anyway and still no joy. My cousin's Element has the same problem so I assumed Honda issue and was just going to try an aftermarket fob. Thanks for the suggestion though I wish it was that simple.

Edit: 7ft was exaggeration by the way it's in reality 15-20 but yeah still not probably within spec.

Just did a quick search and found 16 Civic and 14 Accord owners with the same complaint so either Honda uses dicey batteries or dicey RF transmitters/receivers it would seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
litz likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:40 PM

I once tried to alarm my car because someone was looking through my windows with a flash light. The range of the remote key is not good at all

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
This is on every car forum out there. It seems to vary from exact car to car, without regard to manufacturer nor model, and some just seem to come out "sweet".

I can do about a hundred feet with my Z.

I had a J30 Infiniti (sigh) whose remote would work two-hundred feet, from inside a building, while on that forum others were asking how to get better range.
I've never seen a solution posted.

And the meat antenna works- press the remote against your thigh, or under your chin, and it's good for about another fifty feet. I've still not found what I'd call a worthwhile explanation for why, nor how you could otherwise extend the range. Even Mythbusters took it on, and didn't really find a good reason for it to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode