Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Any Expirience/Opinions on Kayak hauling?

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Christian Brown 
#1 ·
Hi Guys! I am thinking about buying kayak 13' long and I am wondering if it possible to carry it on roof? Maybe somebody already have experience and can get recommendations for roof rack setup? Thank you!

#6 ·
Hi guys again. I just want to post an update. Finally ended up with Sea Sucker paddle board rack. Now, after one+ year pretty often use with 13 and 14.6 heavy kayaks I can definitely say it works. Many 2-4 hour trips on CR-Z as well Civic LX done well and no problems whatever. Easy to mount, easy to unmount, never was thinking about anything else. The mount is not cheap, but USA made and excellent customer service worth it, imho. Hope it will help)

Attachments

#7 ·
Thank you for posting this update. :smile2: Has it caused any damage to the roof or any other part of your CR-Z?

If I was to Haul a bicycle or anything else on my roof I was looking at the Sea Sucker system as it is much lighter and easier to store than the usual roof racks.

I appreciate when other owners share their experiences.

Thank you again for posting this!:smile2:

#11 ·
I have a Thule Gateway rear mount and I have yet to test fit it, but I don't think it will work on my CR-Z. It worked perfectly on my '04 Accord, but I don't think the straps will reach far enough to get a secure hold on the top of the hatch.

For these reasons I am looking at the sea sucker system. I feel like it's easy to place and can allow for many different set ups. I really haven't heard anything negative about them, but the one thing I am concerned about is the suction cups doing some damage to my plasti-dipped roof. Other than that I think this thread has reinforced my decision in going with the sea sucker system...unless my current bike rack works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.