The Sprintex Thread - Page 2 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:47 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Sam95605
In my quest for boost lol I have few questions?

What is the preset psi it makes right from the box?
Is it capable of more boost given the correct tune?
What are some realistic max hp we can achieve with a few more tweeks as d16punk already said I.e. bore out restrictor elbow, bigger TB etc.?

I know it hasn't been out very long so nobody hasn't had much time to play with it, but I'm still trying decide between Sprintex or JR SC setups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam95605 View Post
In my quest for boost lol I have few questions?

What is the preset psi it makes right from the box?
Is it capable of more boost given the correct tune?
What are some realistic max hp we can achieve with a few more tweeks as d16punk already said I.e. bore out restrictor elbow, bigger TB etc.?

I know it hasn't been out very long so nobody hasn't had much time to play with it, but I'm still trying decide between Sprintex or JR SC setups.
I have been told that it is 8 psi out of the box. I'm in the process of getting a boost gauge hooked up so I can verify that number.

Boost is dependent on the pulley size. The smaller the pulley you go the more boost you will make (Plus a tune obviously). No smaller pulleys are available at this time but I'm sure you can get them custom made.

I'm pretty sure 200 whp is not out of the question, possibly more. Like you said, no one has really had time to play with it yet so we shall see.
post #13 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
The Sprintex doesn't have an intercooler. You probably won't be able to do an aggressive tune with more boost unless you find some way to cool the compressed air (intercooler, methanol injection). I'd like to see someone design a custom Sprintex supercharger manifold with an in/out port for intercooler piping. Nothing against methanol injection, but I'd prefer a permanent passive cooling option.

The Sprintex Predator - 2012 Honda CR-Z CVT
// BaysonR // Megan // Spoon // Progress // Sprintex // AEM // BLF // Plastidip // GlowShift // iJDMtoy //

Cryo's Build Thread // DIY Grill LED Mod // IG: @cryonic_zf1

post #14 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:43 AM
CORRUPT

Garage
From what I can tell, the Sprintex is already being spun at its "maximum" speed and there is instead a restrictor that is limiting the boost. I suppose it could be spun faster, but you will be off the compressor map as provided by Sprintex. I don't know much about this restrictor, especially if it is integrated into the inlet pipe or if it is a removable part. It seems like the restrictor also serves to keep the boost at a constant level, since the volumetric efficiency rises as you spin it faster, while the restrictor will do the opposite to "cancel out" this effect. So without the restrictor, the boost will start at about the "rated" 8-9 psi at low RPM and rise to a level that I haven't been able to figure out just yet. I'm wild ass guessing it to be 16-20 psi at redline.

Also, an air-to-air intercooler does not work well with a positive displacement supercharger. That's really only for dynamic compressors like turbochargers and Rotrexes. You need a water-to-air intercooler and there simply is not enough room for one or else Sprintex would have already incorporated one into the design as they have for other kits that they have released.
C5chris, otooleronan and boyd like this.

2011 Honda CR-Z 6MT PWP EX NAV - JR Rotrex Supercharged
Build Thread /// YouTube Channel /// PARTS FOR SALE
post #15 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRyoZ View Post
Hey D16punk, did you reuse the gasket from the intake manifold?
Romie reused his, I bought a new one.
post #16 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITEM9 View Post
From what I can tell, the Sprintex is already being spun at its "maximum" speed and there is instead a restrictor that is limiting the boost. I suppose it could be spun faster, but you will be off the compressor map as provided by Sprintex. I don't know much about this restrictor, especially if it is integrated into the inlet pipe or if it is a removable part. It seems like the restrictor also serves to keep the boost at a constant level, since the volumetric efficiency rises as you spin it faster, while the restrictor will do the opposite to "cancel out" this effect. So without the restrictor, the boost will start at about the "rated" 8-9 psi at low RPM and rise to a level that I haven't been able to figure out just yet. I'm wild ass guessing it to be 16-20 psi at redline.

Also, an air-to-air intercooler does not work well with a positive displacement supercharger. That's really only for dynamic compressors like turbochargers and Rotrexes. You need a water-to-air intercooler and there simply is not enough room for one or else Sprintex would have already incorporated one into the design as they have for other kits that they have released.
The restrictor is welded in there so you would need to grind it down.

I'm pretty sure you are correct about the restrictor being used for efficiency and to keep boost at a constant level.

The guys over at fit freak spoke about grinding it down, but I'm not sure if anyone has attempted this. That thread pretty much died down.
post #17 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Elite Member

What makes it so difficult to install an air to water intercooler? they look like they are pretty small so it could fit in front of radiator like any other intercooler and then just mount the water pump. It's probably a lot more difficult than im making it out to be but it seems doable.
post #18 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:11 PM
CORRUPT

Garage
There are two heat exchangers in a air-to-water intercooler setup... One to take the heat out of the intake air and one to dissipate that heat to ambient air. The problem with an air-to-air in conjunction with a positive displacement supercharger is the excess volume of the piping. The air-to-water eliminates this issue by having it immediately after the supercharger. It would seem like no big deal to replace the lower manifold with one, but it actually presents a ton of issues. The supercharger only discharges out of a somewhat smallish port, so there needs to be enough space to allow the air to distribute evenly to the elongated inlet of intercooler as well as some space after it before the cylinder head ports. The air flow also has to make a 90 bend within the intercooler, presenting many issues to the design. Plus trying to integrate EGR presents even more issues. Even if something could be designed, the heat exchanger portion would necessarily have to be so very brief it wouldn't be worth doing it in the first place. Not to mention it would be a very custom, expensive piece for hardly any benefit.

Basically, it's not going to happen. If Sprintex could have done it, they already would have, like they did for the BRZ kit.
boyd likes this.

2011 Honda CR-Z 6MT PWP EX NAV - JR Rotrex Supercharged
Build Thread /// YouTube Channel /// PARTS FOR SALE
post #19 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITEM9 View Post
There are two heat exchangers in a air-to-water intercooler setup... One to take the heat out of the intake air and one to dissipate that heat to ambient air. The problem with an air-to-air in conjunction with a positive displacement supercharger is the excess volume of the piping. The air-to-water eliminates this issue by having it immediately after the supercharger. It would seem like no big deal to replace the lower manifold with one, but it actually presents a ton of issues. The supercharger only discharges out of a somewhat smallish port, so there needs to be enough space to allow the air to distribute evenly to the elongated inlet of intercooler as well as some space after it before the cylinder head ports. The air flow also has to make a 90 bend within the intercooler, presenting many issues to the design. Plus trying to integrate EGR presents even more issues. Even if something could be designed, the heat exchanger portion would necessarily have to be so very brief it wouldn't be worth doing it in the first place. Not to mention it would be a very custom, expensive piece for hardly any benefit.

Basically, it's not going to happen. If Sprintex could have done it, they already would have, like they did for the BRZ kit.
Well I guess that settles that question hahaha
post #20 of 1816 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Garage
Took a better picture of where it's making contact on the hood and where the blower makes contact...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode