What is better?

• BLF CAI

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Takeda

Votes: 24 64.9%

BLF vs Takeda

9K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  KingJihgy 
#1 ·
I haven't seen this poll yet, so what is better, BLF cold air intake or the takeda? Vote away

#2 ·
I might be slightly biased because I've only owned a Takeda....but Takeda, man!

I cleaned my air filter today, and I'm reminded of just how much I love the look and sound of it. If I ever upgrade to the JRSC, parting ways with the Takeda will be a bittersweet moment.

#4 ·
I agree, the takeda is questionably one of the best looking intakes I have ever seem, period. But I'm more of a function over form kind of guy. I like the concept of a full CAI, and something keeps telling me the takeda is more of a short ram intake.

#5 ·
^ The Takeda is a SRI.

#19 ·
This.

I went with an Injen CAI, but BLF was a close second for this reason.

I don't see any SRI providing the power benefits of a CAI, and the concerns over hydrolocking with a CAI are irrational given the unlikelihood of it actually happening (you'd have to drive through water over a foot deep to actually dunk the CAI on this car).

#12 ·
There's already a ton of threads discussing the advantages of both. I chose the Takeda due to the easier installation process (no bumper removal) and the power increase at low to mid RPM, which gives me more benefits in daily driving than a power increase at high RPM.

Just pick whatever you think you would like more. You won't be disappointed with either choice.

#18 ·
It depends on the person, it seems. The cold air section seems to have issues rubbing against the trans lines for some people which can cause the line to leak or break. Also, for some people who are running the AEM bypass valve, have cracked their bypass valve.

I love my BLF cold air intake. I wouldn't want any other intake on my car, but because of those issues, I can't wholeheartedly recommend it to someone with a CVT. There were a couple people with a CVT who could get it to work properly, but I don't know what they did.

You should be able to run the BLF SRI without any issues at all though.

#23 ·
I didn't say we couldn't find individuals on the internet who have experienced it. I clearly said it's possible. I can also find lottery winners on the internet. The internet provides us access to even the most rare events. But I have never known one person that it actually happened to. And I'm not a hermit. Thus, I must conclude that it's an exceedingly rare event. And if you can only name one guy on here who it happened to (or even 10), we can probably name far more who have CAIs that did not hydrolock.

I'd bet that, if it wasn't for the internet, 99% of auto enthusiasts would not be able to name the first and last name of one person who hydrolocked their engine by submerging a cold air intake. And even with the internet, it's always "this guy on whatever.com whose screen name is ____."

Ultimately, if you want to live your life afraid of Slenderman (or a pair of teenage girls influenced by Slenderman) coming into your house and stabbing you, because you read about it happening to someone one time, by all means, go ahead. But I'll enjoy the increased power I get from my engine consuming air that is cooler and denser simply because I don't let the rare events dictate my decision.

#24 ·
No, whitebeauty isn't just "some guy on the internet"... Well kinda he is, but he's from this forum and a lot of people here know him in real life too.

I get what you're saying though, that it isn't as common as some would like you to believe, but try saying that if it happens to you someday. I have a nice blf intake that is currently only being half used right now. I got the safety valve to prevent hydrolock, but if I install it then my transmission line gets sawn in half (CVT). Sometimes I wish I were brave like you.

#28 ·
I know this is old, but I have indeed personally hydrolocked a motor. I ran through a puddle with my WRX that turned out to be pretty deep ( it was at night and I couldn't see it). Anyway, while very possible it is extremely unlikely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.