Problems with K&N Air Intake. HELP!!!! - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

Go Back   Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums > Honda CR-Z: Technical > Aftermarket Crowd

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Problems with K&N Air Intake. HELP!!!!

I have a CRZ and I had a mechanic I know install my K&N Typhoon and a Fitch Fuel Catalyst. Also my motorcycle and my truck have a K&N and a Fitch Fuel Catalyst also. I sold my 04 G35 which had a K&N Air Intake and a Fitch also. I have always gotten good gas mileage because of the Fitch. My problem is my CRZ the check emissions light is on. So I took it to the dealer and they claim the car is running to lean and of course blamed the K&N and Fitch. The Fitch is just a octane booster and actually makes the gas better. My friend says the Fitch if anything would make the car run richer and not leaner. Has anyone else had this problem with an air intake on CRZ?
cafox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

With just the intake you should hane no issues at all. Try to remove this fuel catalyst and see what happen, maybe it needs a remap for the richer fuel.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Capt'n Jack

Garage

^ Agreed - Would take the Fitch out of the equation and see what happens. I have had the Typhoon for over a year and no issues and have not really seen anyone have CEL issues with it.

Click on the Capt'n Jack's Place signature link for a video. WARNING .. Rated PG-NSFW..
CVT Fully Loaded EX//NAVI//Eibach Pro Springs//H&R
20mm Rear Spacers//
Honda 17" OEM//
P2R
Down Pipe//K&N Typhoon SRI//32 Diamond Quartz Tint//Clazzio Black-Red Insert & Stitching//
iJDMToy interal&External LEDs//T1R Side Mirrors//Remus USDM Catback Center Exhaust//
Scotty001 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
CR-Z Forum Librarian

+1 for the above advice.
And if there is still a problem (after clearing the code), my bet would be a problem with the MAS when it was reinstalled into the intake pipe.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I am going to call K&N and Fitch. I want to try other things before removing Fitch. The fuel line had to be cut to add Fitch so I will have to buy another fuel line to take Fitch off. I see all of you say it is the Fitch but my mechanic friend says his buddy's Corvette does the same thing and it is the K&N Air Intake causing it. If we can't solve the problem I will take one of them off.
cafox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Capt'n Jack

Garage

Keep us posted. If it is the K&N and not an install issue, you might be the first to have a CEL on the CR-Z with a K&N installed..

Click on the Capt'n Jack's Place signature link for a video. WARNING .. Rated PG-NSFW..
CVT Fully Loaded EX//NAVI//Eibach Pro Springs//H&R
20mm Rear Spacers//
Honda 17" OEM//
P2R
Down Pipe//K&N Typhoon SRI//32 Diamond Quartz Tint//Clazzio Black-Red Insert & Stitching//
iJDMToy interal&External LEDs//T1R Side Mirrors//Remus USDM Catback Center Exhaust//
Scotty001 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Garage

Curious as well.. have had K&N for near a year and zero issues.
SangreRaVen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

Garage

cant be the intake. just remove the fitch. its not necessary on this car. you would have a MAF code if the MAF fried.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafox View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I am going to call K&N and Fitch. I want to try other things before removing Fitch. The fuel line had to be cut to add Fitch so I will have to buy another fuel line to take Fitch off. I see all of you say it is the Fitch but my mechanic friend says his buddy's Corvette does the same thing and it is the K&N Air Intake causing it. If we can't solve the problem I will take one of them off.
Many people here have the K&N installed without engine check errors, so it's logical to assume this Fitch's the culprit. I'd try to search for a FlashPro.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

It is 110% not likely to be the K&N.

I had never heard of Fitch Catalyst, so i googled.

I really like most of the comments
does the fitch fuel catalyst work ?

SNAKE OIL?

If you need some muffler belts and bearings, I can set you up.
bheinen74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.