HP increase - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

Go Back   Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums > Honda CR-Z: Technical > Aftermarket Crowd

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HP increase

I have yet to purchase a Honda CR-Z, but I have been doing some research, and although I love the Mugen version, I wonder is there a way any of you have modded your CR-Z to have more HP? Of course I mean the standard 122-HP version. I've been reading and there are ways, such as changing the computer chip, installing an intercooler, etc. I'm wondering if any of you have done anything like this? If you have, how hard/expensive was it to achieve? I love the idea of having 200 HP, but I wonder if the extra 6k is worth it, or should I go with aftermarket ways to increase the horsepower, should I get a standard version?
jac2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's not hard to get 200hp. Just plonk in the HKS SC for the CRZ. Got money, got power.
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Capt'n Jack

Garage

The CR-Z is pretty fun stock.. Take one for a drive and you will see. Especiallly in Sport mode.. But as you browse the forum, will see a lot of bolt on stuff. SRI/CAI and exhaust mods work the best. It is relative. Increase HP by 10 or so on a 122HP and can feel significant gain as opposed to adding 10HP to a 200+ etc..

Click on the Capt'n Jack's Place signature link for a video. WARNING .. Rated PG-NSFW..
CVT Fully Loaded EX//NAVI//Eibach Pro Springs//H&R
20mm Rear Spacers//
Honda 17" OEM//
P2R
Down Pipe//K&N Typhoon SRI//32 Diamond Quartz Tint//Clazzio Black-Red Insert & Stitching//
iJDMToy interal&External LEDs//T1R Side Mirrors//Remus USDM Catback Center Exhaust//
Scotty001 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Try it, before you decide you want to boost it that much!
If your intention is to race it, yes, the extra 80 ponies will be amazing, but really, for daily use, it is pretty zippy. Not jaw dropping, but with the electric motor providing torque right from idle, you don't miss the power that much (and mine is a CVT!). Raw power is really not what this car is about. It is a package of economy, reasonable performance, and good handling.

You can get some modest gains from intake and exhaust modifications, which are relatively cheap and easy to do. if you do more than that, you will have to upgrade the brake and suspension too.

In my opinion, the best and cheapest performance mod you can do is the "passenger delete". The effective horsepower gain of shedding 150 pounds or more, is pretty substantial for a car like the CR-Z.

Take a CR-Z for a lengthy test drive, before you spend a long time pondering an expensive and involved modification like cranking 200 HP out of it.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

Edited to add- if you add too much power, you will pull away from the ligts too fast to enjoy all the looks from other drivers interested in what it is you are driving!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would happy with 25-30 ponies in NA form. That would be perfect. May I ask for 8.5k redline too? Please ...
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have no intentions to race my CR-Z. However, I'd like the extra power more for personal reasons. For instance, my fiancé has done some mods to his 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 V6 to give it a little extra push. He has Borla mufflers and a takeda intake on it. This has helped increase power some but now it sounds beast. He doesn't race it either but he enjoys going on drives where he tests anything new he's installed or for the hell of it. This is what I'd like to do, so if it's simple to increase the HP by a little by just doing some minor adjustments, that sounds great. As for a test drive, I'm not sure if my local dealer has a Z in stock. However, I may call down there to see if he does.
jac2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Capt'n Jack

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac2009 View Post
I have no intentions to race my CR-Z. However, I'd like the extra power more for personal reasons. For instance, my fiancé has done some mods to his 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 V6 to give it a little extra push. He has Borla mufflers and a takeda intake on it. This has helped increase power some but now it sounds beast. He doesn't race it either but he enjoys going on drives where he tests anything new he's installed or for the hell of it. This is what I'd like to do, so if it's simple to increase the HP by a little by just doing some minor adjustments, that sounds great. As for a test drive, I'm not sure if my local dealer has a Z in stock. However, I may call down there to see if he does.
As been previously mentioned - the CR-Z is a great fun little Daily Driver and with the list of aftermarket mods, makes it even more fun.. Put a SRI or CAI and exhaust... will make it even more fun.. This is not about 00-60 in 3-5 seconds but about a really nice little daily driver with pretty good gas mileage and fun to drive.. Who needs to go 00-60 in 3-5 seconds on a Daily Driver??

Click on the Capt'n Jack's Place signature link for a video. WARNING .. Rated PG-NSFW..
20mm Rear Spacers//
Honda 17" OEM//
P2R
Down Pipe//K&N Typhoon SRI//32 Diamond Quartz Tint//Clazzio Black-Red Insert & Stitching//
iJDMToy interal&External LEDs//T1R Side Mirrors//Remus USDM Catback Center Exhaust//
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty001 View Post
As been previously mentioned - the CR-Z is a great fun little Daily Driver and with the list of aftermarket mods, makes it even more fun.. Put a SRI or CAI and exhaust... will make it even more fun.. This is not about 00-60 in 3-5 seconds but about a really nice little daily driver with pretty good gas mileage and fun to drive.. Who needs to go 00-60 in 3-5 seconds on a Daily Driver??
It helps when you're hopping on the interstate and there's a grandma in a lincoln doing 30 trying to merge into 70 mph traffic. Lol
Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Capt'n Jack

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFitZ View Post
It helps when you're hopping on the interstate and there's a grandma in a lincoln doing 30 trying to merge into 70 mph traffic. Lol

Yea.. That too..

20mm Rear Spacers//
Honda 17" OEM//
P2R
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

just change the filters to an after market & preferably aftermarkets exhaust as well. Simple mods as long as you can enjoy your ride since the stock has already given you quite a no. of HP. Why need high HP when u can't even control it?
axworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.