Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Will 2013 LED DRL headlights plug and play on a 2011 EX?

48K views 83 replies 35 participants last post by  ubiquitous5 
#1 ·
I have searched a ton and can't find the answer! I noticed the new CR-Z EX has the (JDM) HID headlights with the row of LED's below them. This is the only thing that I do not like on my 2011 with the dimmed hi-beam light for the DRL - just looks like a dim bulb about to go out.
I checked a couple of Honda dealer parts guys and they don't know if they just plug up and go! The illustrations with the parts guides have all the exact same connectors, mounting and hid stuff as my 2011 EX headlights except for the headlight assembly themselves. And these are listed for $362 ($516 MSRP). Has anyone tried to plug a new LED headlight into a 2011 or 2012? I have the 2011 Helms manual and I know the problem may be in the MICU which controls all the lights. There is only 1 circuit to the high beams now for the 4 and 12 volt source which is controlled by the MICU.
Thanks for the help, this would be great if it would work.

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
2013 Headlight Schematics n(Courtesy of College Hills Honda):

2011 (probably 2012 too):

Parts for 2013 (from Hondapartscheap.com):
33101-SZT-A31 HEADLIGHT UNIT, R. 1 $514.60 $360.22
33151-SZT-A31 HEADLIGHT UNIT, L. 1 $514.60 $360.22
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/part.../electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel/headlight-hid
College Hills is slightly more, but I would buy from him.
ALL the other part numbers in the 2013 headlight assembly for EX model are identical to those of the 2011 and 2012 EX.

(Can you tell, I'm thinking of doing this)?

So, if someone can figure out if they PHYSICALLY fit, since the new bumper is changed, and if the mounting and alignment holes are compatible, I'm game to try it.

What do the schematics tell you might need to be changed?
I'm no electronics expert.

#8 ·
2013 Headlight Schematics n(Courtesy of College Hills Honda):
I think this is the wrong diagram. The DRL or "position" light is probably on another page. It's only referred to in that one place in this diagram and it doesn't tell us anything about the circuit. Either way, I'd wait until the Helm manual comes out...

Also, luckily, you can buy the electrical connectors from Honda to wire them up.

[14] Connector, Waterproof (3p 090 F) (5 Pieces) 04321-SP0-306
[5] Sub-Cord (0.5) (10 Pieces) (Yellow) 04320-SP0-C00

#7 ·
Yes, OneFit, that is my biggest concern as well.
And what is the MICU - is that separate from the ECM, or a part of that?
I assume that is is separate, but what do I know?
And if it is, changing it out would probably just light up the dash with some other error.

But what would be the harm in having the high beams on low power AND the LED's light up as DRL's? Not as dramatic as just a strip of LED's, but I'm thinking it should work. Maybe???

#9 ·
Where is the icon with grey hair?

Thanks guys for all the replys. Yes I am the worlds oldest tuner and teenager (only 67 years old!) My first rice rocket was a brand new 72 Datsun 240Z and never lost the fever. My last ride and love of my life was a 98 Prelude SH and the best car I ever had until the CR-Z came along. I had an 84 CRX also and I love 2-seater rockets (with only 72hp). Can't love 2 cars at the same time, so had to sell the 'lude to a very lucky 21yo for HIS first car!

I have been talking to the guys at Showcase Honda (Hondapartsunlimited.com) to see if the connectors are the same. They have ordered a set of 2013 headlights for me to see what connectors they come with and to put a set in their stock. I have told them I would buy the set from them to try out the connections on my 2011 EX if they would let me return them (unharmed) if they didn't fit and they agreed. But I know that when I get them, being an electrical engineer by trade, I will find a way to make them work in my car. I was just hoping that they would be plug and play! I have spent so much time tricking out the Prelude with HID's, Led's, blinking sidelights, interior lights, etc., that I really don't want to mess with the CRZ's complex wiring.

BTW, the MICU stands for Multiplex Integrated Control Unit if I remember correctly from the Helms book. It is what makes all the sensors, door switches, brake switches, etc. control the different lights. Integrated circuits stuff. Different from the ECU engine control unit.
Crz Canadian is that diagram you posted for the 2013 model? The 22-212 and 213 are from the 2011 Helms book. Every thing there goes thru the MICU also. I can't tell if the DRL's are in the diagram. Thanks

#11 ·
unless the "hole" in the bumper is moved a few millimeters to one side or another...
But I agree, it is not so likely. Likely enough to take an $800 gamble, I'm not sure yet.

oldfart, I'm thinking we will be looking to you, to see what this will entail. Oh, and welcome - glad to have you aboard!

College Hills sent me the colour drawing at my request for a 2013 schematic. It didn't convert to JPG well, but the little "L" in the fourth line from the bottom right says "Left Position Daytime Running Light" below the box marked "Left Headlight (High)". I'm not saying it is complete, just hoping it is what I asked for...

#20 ·
Monster, JeTLiX!

I did get a reply from Paul at College Hills Honda that he could pull up no further wiring information on the 2013's headlights. So any differences must be in the controller thingy.

My guess is that both the low intensity high beams, and the LED's will operate on DRL mode. That's only an un-educated guess, based on my limited understanding of the wiring diagrams. But what do I know.

ITEM9, I don't get the comment about the connectors. What am I missing? What leads you to believe that they are different on the 2013 EX from the 2011-12 EX? Or were you referring to upgrading a Base CR-Z?

#21 ·
Because the 2011-2012 CR-Z DRL is integrated into the high beam circuit there is no separate electrical connector for the DRL on the headlights. The 2013 CR-Zs now have the DRL separate from the high beam circuit, so now there is a separate electrical connector for them. Because front end collisions are common and sometimes may damage the wiring harness, Honda offers the electrical connectors with pigtails to repair the harness instead of buying a whole new one. Normally you can't buy the electrical connectors separate, but in this case you can. Basically, you need these connectors to plug in the LED DRLs if your car wasn't wired for them from the factory ie any 2011-2012 USDM CR-Z.

Anyways, I highly doubt you can can integrated the LED DRLs into the 2011-2012 high beam DRL circuit. I think they work in a completely different way. Basically the high beam DRL circuit switches the bulbs from running in parallel into running them in series, so they will be at 5-6V. The LEDS don't really want to run like that. You can probably wire them up to a separate switch or the ignition instead.

#24 ·
Item9 is correct about the connector. They bolt in exactly like the 2011-12 headlight. They also are the same with your lo beam, hi beam, turn signal, but with the addition of the led connector. The second picture below shows the connector. It has a power and ground wire. I actually found the appropriate connectors on an old honda pilot harness I had laying around. I plan on using them to connect the LEDs to power, but I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to wire them up. I don't see a convenient way to use the old drl/hi beam because of the way its off with lo beam headlights. I do know it provides about 8 volts for drl and around 14 for hi beam. I actually bought the headlights back in mid December from the Honda dealer when I saw another member on the forum with the 2013 diffuser. But since I had a base, I had to deal with sealing and wiring up iJDMTOY HIDs in the 2013 headlight. Therefore I just put them in over the weekend. But they do look awesome. I've seen them lit up. I'll try to take a picture tonight with them lit up.

#26 ·
Bear with me if this is a stupid question, as I am an utter moron when it comes to automobile electrics, but would it be possible using the existing connections to set them up to turn on as parking lights (so the LED's come on rather than the turn signals)?

Not the same as DRL's, but at least that way they could be easily switched on at will and also work like the EDM/JDM headlamps do.

#27 ·
Hey Item9

You show a list of connectors in one of your previous replys (can't figure out how to insert it!) that contains the "position" connector and it is connected to the wire harness. This could be the connector for the 2013 LED DRL's. Was that list from the 2013 or 2011/12 CRZ? If it was the 2011/12 then it may just be installed now and all we have to do is find it. It could be like the fog light ckt, already installed wiring- just no lights. This might be the answer to connecting up tntitans21 lights! I will check my Helms book for connector diagrams again also.

Tntitans: does the hi-beam on your new 2013 headlights come on now as the DRL when you release the brake? Same as before? I was thinking that the 2013 MICU must be programed to not use the hi-beams for the DRLs like ours do.

Dam integrated circuit devices! It use to be so easy with just wires and fuses!

#28 ·
You show a list of connectors in one of your previous replys (can't figure out how to insert it!) that contains the "position" connector and it is connected to the wire harness. This could be the connector for the 2013 LED DRL's. Was that list from the 2013 or 2011/12 CRZ? If it was the 2011/12 then it may just be installed now and all we have to do is find it. It could be like the fog light ckt, already installed wiring- just no lights. This might be the answer to connecting up tntitans21 lights! I will check my Helms book for connector diagrams again also.
I list the two parts that you need from that chart right above it with part numbers. The chart is for 2013 and you need the position connector number [14] and pigtail number [5]. They come in packs of 5 and 10 respectively; you will only need 2 and 4.

#30 ·
What distributes the power to different lights in my prelude is the Relays (the relays create the conditions and results. i.e. while headlights are on turn this on or off too...) and by splicing them I was able to have the Fogs on while the headlights were not. so if we can get an Understanding of how the Relays work maybe we can splice into the DRL for the LEDs.

and do the fog thing too :p

I can'T read those diagrams btw. fine print is too smal and if I zoom in it gets all pixelated and definitely cant read it.

#32 ·
If you have read all the postings on this thread and are trying to install a set of 2013 Led headlights in to your 2011 or 12 and have an EX model (for the HID's swap) they will fit and connect up and operate as your 2011 headlights do now. The problem is getting the LED DRL array to light up! You have to come up with a connector as previously mentioned and connect it to something to be energized when you want the LED DRL's to light up.

That is the only thing stopping me from plunking down my money. I want a way to light the LED's up and NOT have the hi-beam dimmed at the same time. I want just the LED's to light up for the DRL's only. Need to find a way to defeat the MICU control of the hi-beams for DRL.
Hope this helps...

#33 ·
Forgot to answer your question...

Yes those are the correct part numbers for the 2013 LED DRL HID headlights for the 2013 CR-Z. The rest was me just babbling on about the problem. If you decide to get them, you probably should order the connectors and pigtails that CRZ Canadian listed in his posts to connect to the LED sockets on each headlight.

Good Luck and let us know how they work out.

#35 ·
May i ask, has anyone connected up these LED to the ignition or other source yet? What voltage and what inline fuse to use (if at all needed). Also, if the voltage is not 12V, how and where do you patch in?

One other question, if you remove the DRL fuse, does it not show an error on the dash or MID?

#36 ·
Hey ITEM9....

Have you ever pulled the DRL fuse and checked for an error message and the hi-beam operation?

This would be the solution to getting the LEDS to operated by just finding a 12v source (on when key, etc) and getting our hi-beams to operate only at full voltage. I know the hi-beams and "IG2 DAY LT" have separate fuses but use the same wiring.
I want to get the 2013 LEDS and get my hi-beams back as the 2013 operates.

I hate our 2011 DRL with the dimmed hi-beams, they look like they are burning out. So I replaced mine with a set of 32-led replacement bulbs so at least they look bright white leds, but I lost the hi-beam light of the 9005's.

Thanks, I am dying to get the 2013's if we can solve "the problem".

#41 ·
like I said i'm sure there's something that is more "stock-ish" by changing the relay or splicing in one of the relays, just need to test them and find out what port will give the desired result. without having to pass a wire through the firewall or remove/tap fuses.

If someone wants to buy me a set of headlights i'll be glad to test all the wirings :p

#43 ·
Update on the DRL operation...for our 2011, 12's...

Finally got a chance to check out a 2013 EX and the headlight operation. The DRL's come on as usual when ignition is on and em brake released, and stay on with the parking lights, but go out when the headlights are energized. I can see why they do this as they are very bright by themselves and aren't needed with the headlights. So now if we can find a 12v connection for the LED DRL's it should have a switch also. Problems, problems.

Someone said to run a connection thru-the-firewall to a vacant fuse and install a switch to de-energize the DRL's when lights are on. Anybody got a DIY for this thru-the-firewall and fuse connection install? Doesn't sound easy for us big OLD guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.