Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Speedworks Turbo Kit

36K views 142 replies 25 participants last post by  ATX_CRZ 
#1 ·
#130 ·
Not sure it Helps. But my MAF is located right after the filter.

Was welded into the custom piping right after the filter....
Also not sure about the speed/densitiy...

My fuel maps, are MAP based...for example if i "unplug" the silicone intake from the Throttlebody.....the car behaves as stock...
No boost coming in...the fuel isn't injected, resulting in stock car

#131 ·
Good luck with MAF based tuning but its a lot sensitive.think when your MAF sensor will get dirty,the amount of air passing through will be same but it will read less may leading to lean conditions in boost.and 2ndly factoy ecu fuel trims are mostly on MAF based readings.so car wont be behaving smoothly i think.nowis the time to think to choose MAF or MAp based tuning.coz if u go speed density maf route you will be spending a lot in that route and end result may not be good, especailly taking care to clean MAF etc

#132 ·
Nivek,
replacing the maf doesn't cost that much. I have the most of the piping already here from a previous build. I meant with throwing away a lot of money, everything the tuning has cost me. (ktuner license and tuning sesions on the dyno.)

When relocating the maf doesn't work as we want, we have to begin from scratch again. (buying the AEM Fic6 and again tuning on the dyno.)

I think in about 2 weeks i will make the conversion of the maf sensor.

I did some reading in the manual of the AEM Fic6. Did you also connect all the injector wires? (fuel injector input and output)

#133 ·
Yes we have to use in and out inj 1-4 wires.its simple.because thats how AEm will control the opening of injectors more or less as you will want it.and with AEM u wont be starting from scratch.i had same LEA-MF6 crz engine.you can start with my map.as our turbos are slighly different so fuel table will have to be adjusted slightly to when the boost comes.mine started building from 2700-4000(full 8-9 psi).
and MAF sensor table may need some changing as your air filter might be different.i was using K&N instead of filter which came with my turbo kit.
other wires will be TPS sensor,Cam sensor,MAF I/O,MAP I/O.
but i hope you get tuned with your MAf sensor and ktuner.i am just saying that MAp & AEM route is not difficult.you will need external wideband,which you already have plus an OBDII ELm based adapter which ate like 10$ on ebay/amazon and a free playstore app "torque" to see your fuel trims when you tune it.plus a spark plug defouler if you have deleted your cat.
they go like 5$
Spark plug non fouler - Honda-Tech
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-42009-Spark-Plug-Non-Fouler/dp/B000CO91FY
plus i dont get it how relocating MAF before turbo will get problem fixed? the amount and speed of air may be same but turbo is making that denser.so the things matter after turbo.but i hope speed density guys know their stuff and good luck again.cant wait to see another crz tubo running :)
Do u have AEM eugo wide band or other company?

#134 ·
Thanks Nivek. Using your maps would help.
Wiring would be no problem for me. I don't have the aem wideband, will get one, becouse the one i have isn't giving accurate readings comparing to the readings from the oem afr sensor.

I have the OBD2 ELM and using Dashcommand.

I don't know eighter why the maf sensor would perform better before turbo, but some big tuners are saying that it's the best place for turbo setups, so gonna try that.

I have a K&N filter also..... That came with the kit.
I won't need a O2 fooler, becouse my 2nd O2 sensor is disabled by the Ktuner software although it's after the racecat, it gave errors sometimes, so decided to disable it.

#136 ·
here i have written a complete guide of using AEM-FIC6 on AEM forums.you will note that it was not easy for us in the beginning but with trial and error we learnt all the things about it and how to perfetly tune and fool a modern ecu having both maf and map sensors.my username there is deltoid61.
Complete Guide to FIC-6,successfully fool a modern OBDII ecu | AEM

#135 ·
I've nothing really to contribute to the pre-existing discussion - only to say I think what you guys are doing is great. I really wanted to Turbo my car, and I've almost reached the $5k mark saved, but it seems like a lot of hassle when I could just go the Factory-HPD route.

Basically, I'm jealous as hell of all your guys' knowledge on the topic. Best of luck with the continued build. My dreams of owning an uncommon car with that iconic "Pssshhhhhh" sound will have to wait.

#137 ·
It's more about taste than anything else.
HPD is also a good option, however after trying both Supercharger, and turbocharger. I'm inclined to say i like the turbo more.

It just might take more time/money, to put it EXACTLY how you want. Dyno runs, re-tune etc.

Since the guy who tunes the car, and the one who drives, might enjoy different things.

#138 ·
Have you calculated how much will be spent in MAF route? how much tuning sessions etc
than weigh it agaist MAP route(AEM+tune).i am sure just 1 tune will be enough for MAP route as map is already there.your tuner just has to adjust where your turbo is producing boost.plus RDX 410cc injectors if you want to use my map.

#140 ·
Have you calculated how much will be spent in MAF route?
We made a fixed price, so that's good for me now. Not so much for the tuner. We will give it one more try, if we can't get a good tune as i want it to be then i'm going to swich to aem in a year or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.