Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

oil type

43K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  TNThomas 
#1 ·
Hello Dears ,,, Which is the better oil to be used , 0w20 or 5w20 ,and what's the deference between it ? are you recommended a brand for oil ? as mobile1 ,castrol, gulf , shell ...ect

#2 ·
0w20 is what Honda recommends for both fuel economy and long engine life. It has to do with viscosity for winter "W" and normally. Honda puts a semi synthetic oil in the car at the factory. I had my dealer switch that to full synthetic at The Speed Bump's ( the car's name) first oil change. These cars only need oil changes every 10K miles or more. I highly recommend you follow the minder built into the car. There is no reason to change it any more frequently

Oil is like politics everyone has an opinion. Take all advice on brand names with a grain of salt.

Here is a Link from the UK that tries to explain it:

Oil Specifications Explained - What does 10w40 mean?

#3 ·
A search could have quickly answered your question.

Everything Spdbump mentioned is correct. I just hit 30K miles 2 weeks ago. It was also my 3rd oil change. Amazing right? Use the recommended 0W-20 (you can look on your oil cap to verify). The car is sold on a blended synthetic 0W-20 oil. I switched to full synthetic at my first oil change.

10K: Royal Purple 0W-20 | Royal Purple S2000 oil filter

21K: Royal Purple 0W-20 | OEM oil filter

30K: Mobil 1 0W-20 | OEM oil filter

Note: I change my oil at 5%.

#4 ·
I've just been using Honda's OEM ASE 0w-20 API Service SN, ILSAC GF-5 -- Touge's Pics sound good, for sure, but I've had a good supply of OEM & filters in the garage, and haven't run out of the supply yet. Thinking about trying Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy when I have to restock.

(OEM's API category Introduced in October 2010)
API | Oil Categories

#12 ·
The whole oil thing is a nightmare here in Ireland. Honda wouldn't service my car because it's a Japanese import. So was servicing at the biggest and kinda best garage chain in the country. Recently noticed they were putting 0w30 oil. Today had an argument with them as I was requesting 0w20 and according to their standards and their supplier standards its 0w30 or 5w30. They said they could put 0w20 but I would have to sign that if the engine gets damaged they are not responsible and there are different types of 0w20 and they didn't know which one. Whew. They wouldn't let me buy oil from Honda and bring to them. Spoke with HOnda support through their Irish website and they recommended something called Hybrid Petrol Engine Oil 08232-P99S-4LHE. For now letting that garage to put 0w30 and I guess will need to find some other place who would let me buy from Honda and use that oil.

Anybody had a similar experience?

#22 ·
For now letting that garage to put 0w30 and I guess will need to find some other place who would let me buy from Honda and use that oil.
Don't pull your hair out if the car is running 0w-30 for now, its better than no oil! As long as you're not mashing the accelerator everywhere like Vin Diesel's entire family it should be fine just commuting.

You do not need Honda Branded oil just 0W20 that meets the specification in your manual for API.
Second.

#15 ·
Can you show them your owners manual and the oil cap on the car that specifies the required oil? Then with that information in hand you need to talk to the Dealership management or ownership, this should be a non issue considering the data you have from the owners manual and the cap where they have to put the oil in unless of course your cap is not labeled like my USDM is.

#16 ·
Will check if my cap says 0w20 and show them and will show the screenshot of the manual. They will say again their supplier recommends 0w30 and they have no way to find out from a reliable for them source which type of 0w20 to use as they give 1-year warranty on any service they do. Will try my best when I go back to collect my car. Most likely they won't be able to do anything as they are just mechanics and they just follow their rules. Will email their management later today.

#28 ·
Time to service again. I've moved and found an independent Honda service center. Just called them and they've said they do service CRZs, they noted down the plate number, checked in the system, double-checked with me if this is a hybrid car and told me they would use Genuine Honda Hybrid oil. They said this is what it's called, doesn't say is it 0-20 or 0-30 or whatever. They put in all CRZs this oil. Any suggestions, should I go with this, please?
I'm sorry I might be annoy some of you:)

#29 ·
There is no such thing as a specific hybrid oil. That is marketing hype. Even in the dealers I have been in they show synthetic or blend 0W20. None say Hybrid. Use any 0W20 full synthetic or blend oil . If you go with this hybrid BS you are over paying for something simple. All you need is oil that meets the specifications as I and others have told you now many times. Main thing is it needs to be changed either by the minder or at least once a year or more often. If they are telling you that then they do not know the car and are using scare tactics. On the oil cap and in the owners manual it specifies the oil as 0W20.

Go to any car maintenance place ask for 0W20 full Synthetic or blended oil and have it changed or do it yourself. There is no full conventional non synthetic oil. There is nothing special about this car being a hybrid that needs special oil.

Time to service again. I've moved and found an independent Honda service center. Just called them and they've said they do service CRZs, they noted down the plate number, checked in the system, double-checked with me if this is a hybrid car and told me they would use Genuine Honda Hybrid oil. They said this is what it's called, doesn't say is it 0-20 or 0-30 or whatever. They put in all CRZs this oil. Any suggestions, should I go with this, please?
I'm sorry I might be annoy some of you:)

#34 ·
Finally got 0W-20 from Honda, was only €27 for 4 liter bottle. The guy over the counter was a bit surprised I wasnt getting Hybrid oil. Told him about this forum and about the car book. He said 'this sounds strange, but ok whatever the car book says let's go that way'. He gave me 10% discount because of this forum and they will give me even more next time if I promote them here Lol

Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Font

They actually do have Honda Hybrid oil and the bottle doesn't say the viscosity and he didn't know the viscosity either. Checked on the backside of the bottle, doesn't say anywhere. He would usually recommend this one to any hybrid engines.

Green Product Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas

#35 ·
IMO If the "Hybrid" oil does not list viscosity or the other parameters it is a scam. It is just marketing scare tactics and Hype. For all you know it maybe the same oil in each bottle or who knows? If I was shown a bottle of oil without the Viscosity and other information on it I would not even consider it. Too many different formulations of oil these days in all kinds of different viscosity's not worth the chance.

Even with the discount you probably still over paid. But if it puts your mind at ease and you change your oil that is all that matters. Change the filter too!

What does 100% synthetic 0W20 cost out in any supplier there ? or even mail order?

Sounds like you caught him in the scam. For all you know his shop is having labels printed hence the no information.

Finally got 0W-20 from Honda, was only €27 for 4 liter bottle. The guy over the counter was a bit surprised I wasnt getting Hybrid oil. Told him about this forum and about the car book. He said 'this sounds strange, but ok whatever the car book says let's go that way'. He gave me 10% discount because of this forum and they will give me even more next time if I promote them here Lol

View attachment 66165

They actually do have Honda Hybrid oil and the bottle doesn't say the viscosity and he didn't know the viscosity either. Checked on the backside of the bottle, doesn't say anywhere. He would usually recommend this one to any hybrid engines.

View attachment 66166

#40 ·
Being not clearly labeled we will never know and I would never buy oil without the specifications on it. Why would they make an oil that is that different from what they specified for in this case a CR-Z? what's next no actual oil and just water?:ROFLMAO:

QUOTE="ryanthegreat1, post: 1410762, member: 78298"]
That hybrid oil might be 0w7.5. I know Honda was starting down the super light weight oil path.
[/QUOTE]

#41 ·
Finally changed the engine oil. 0W20 after two years of servicing with 0W30 in 5-minute drive felt like I've been driving a different car for 2 years. Feels so smooth, accelerates faster and will see how much fuel consumption decreases.

@Spdbump thank you so much for insisting! The mechanic agreed that have to use whatever the book says, especially for Honda because their engineers are geniuses and the big service centers are idiots!

Anyone who still thinks 0W30 or anything other than 0W20 is ok. No, It's not ok!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.